Solar Whiz Commercial — FAQ’s
Frequently Asked Questions List
The Solar Whiz Commercial system is as simple and straight-forward as its Residential counterpart. However, we receive a number of queries regarding how it works.
We’ve compiled a list of the most commonly asked questions in hopes that you’ll find the answer you need.
1) What sort of applications are industrial whirlybirds suitable for?
2) Where can I purchase Solar Whiz products?
GES has an extensive network of dealers throughout Australia. Please check our website for our dealer list or call us on 1300 609 994.
3) How much air can the Solar Whiz Commercial Ventilation Systems (SW-RAF10000) move?
4) How much air each type of Solar Whiz is able to move compared to a standard whirlybird?
The SW-RAF10000 is capable of moving 10000cbm/hr – 100 times the air volume that of your standard industrial whirlybirds will do!
Our largest domestic unit, The SW-RAF2300, is capable of moving 2300cbm/hr – 23 times the air volume that of your standard Whirlybird
5) How many industrial whirlybirds roof ventilation units do I need?
6) An Example of Calculating the Recommended air changes per hour…
A factory is 40m x 40m x 10m (16000 cubic metres). We multiply this by the recommended number of air changes for effective ventilation in a factory (3-5, in this case 4), to get the required airflow:
16000 x 4 = 64000 cubic metres per hour of air recommended
So, 7 of the SW-RAF10000 units would be recommended in this case.
It is important to realize that while 3-5 air changes per hour is the recommended amount, even having 1-2 would make a difference
7) What model of Solar Whiz is best for ventilating a Large Shed, Warehouse, or Factory?
There are two options:
For spaces 750cbm (cubic meters) and above, a combination of model sizes is an effective means of ventilation and cooling.
For large spaces 2250 (cubic meters) and above, or those that need strong ventilation (chemicals or smoke inside); the SW-RAF10000 (or a combination of these) is most appropriate. It is not only our most powerful unit, but also the most powerful on the market!
8) Can the commercial ventilation system be thermostatically controlled?
The SW-RAF10000 can be installed with our adjustable thermostat if you wish to do so. The SW-RAF10000 will run until the temperature at the location of the thermostat drops below the temperature set on the thermostat.
The adjustable thermostat also has an on/off switch so you can switch the unit completely off, if you wish to do so, e.g. during the winter months.
In some applications where constant ventilation is required, it may not be beneficial to have the thermostat installed.
9) What size is the motor and PV panel that is supplied with the commercial roof exhaust fan?
10) How noisy is the commercial ventilation fan?
11) What are the components of a Solar Whiz?
26 (24?) Volt DC brushless motor with double shielded ball bearings.
Externally mounted 100 Watt PV
12) What is the casing made of? Is it strong?
We use materials designed to last in Australian conditions
Aluminium Alloy for maximum durability, and corrosion resistant steel (superior corrosion resistance suitable for coastal installations)
Electro static UV resistant spray cured in high temperature drying process
Cold sheet steel stainless steel fasteners and screen.
Black powder coating
13) What are the dimensions of the units?
The SW-RAF10000 is
• SW-RAF10000 – 900 Dia 305 high; throat size of 630mm
• 75W Panel – 815x725x40;
• 100W Panel – 1260x700x40. The flashing is 915mm x 915mm x 0.9mm
• SW-RAF10000 – 920x920x340;
• 75W Panel – 770x840x70;
• 100W Panel – 1010x725x70.
14) Why is passive ventilation not enough?
15) What is replacement air and how do we it into our building?
The SW-RAF10000 extracts a significant amount of predominantly hot/warm air; for cooling to take place we need replacement air.
If you don’t have – or in addition to – passive ventilation vents in the building – replacement air can be obtained by leaving windows, roller doors, emergency exit doors or anything similar slightly open while the SW-RAF10000 is operating.
16) Where does replacement air come from?
17) What is the difference between an intake and exhaust vent?
18) I want to stop warm air escaping during the winter months from the Solar Whiz opening even after installing a thermostat. How is this done?
The thermostat obviously stops the unit from running in the colder winter times which will ensure that valuable heat in your roof space during these times isn’t being ventilated out. If you wish to take things a step further you can cut a piece of foam to fit and place it inside the Solar Whiz.
Our ceiling vents are completely closeable so you can close these easily in winter to stop valuable heat escaping.
19) Can I install a Solar Whiz on my shed/workshop etc.?
20) How difficult is it to install a Solar Whiz?
Installing Solar Whiz industrial ventilation is pretty straight forward for a competent handyman or a professional installer. It is therefore possible to do the installation yourself and we are happy to provide installation instructions and advice. Most Solar Whiz units are installed by our dealers/installers. DIY Installation instructions can be found here.
Would you be comfortable installing a whirlybird? Then our roof ventilation fans are only a little more step up from this.
21) What is the warranty on the industrial ventilator and how do I obtain a warranty service?
Solar Whiz commercial roof ventilators are designed and manufactured for durability in the harsh Australian conditions and backed by a 10 year warranty on PV panels and 2 years warranty on other components. An extended warranty is also available.
In order to make a warranty claim, please contact the dealer you purchased the unit(s) from or alternatively give GES a call on 1300 609 994.
22) How do I obtain warranty service?
In the unlikely event of making a warranty claim, you will need to give us a call on (03) 9889 0888 or 1300 609 994 and let us know the nature of the problem. Alternatively you can send us an e-mail with a photo attachment showing the problem. Replacement parts will be sent ASAP, and can be sent anywhere in Australia. Remember the Solar Whiz has only one moving part and is covered by our 2 year warranty.
23) Are replacement parts available?
24) My warranty has expired - can I purchase replacement parts?
Global Eco & Environmental Solutions has Solar Whiz parts which can be purchased if something happens outside the warranty covered. These parts are reasonably prices, and can be delivered anywhere in Australia. Contact us via email or phone (03) 9889 0888 or 1300 609 994 for current prices
25) Can the industrial roof ventilation system unit run at night?
The SW-RAF10000 can most certainly be run at night if you wish. This is done via our night operation kit; which uses a relay switch to alternate between solar power and mains power, when there is insufficient sun. The switch is automatic.
If the industrial roof exhaust fan is installed with a night operation kit and no thermostat, the unit will run virtually 24/7 (there is a small lag when switching from solar power to mains). If SW-RAF10000 industrial whirlybirds are installed with a night operation kit and thermostat, the unit will continue to run until the set temperature is reached.
26) Can the Solar Whiz be used at night?
27) What if I want to ventilate all the time?
Solar Whiz industrial whirlybirds can be connected to a power supply, without a thermostat (like the night pack) and will run all the time.
It can also be sold without PV.
28) Can the unit be set to run during a fixed time period?
29) Where are Solar Whiz products produced?
Check out some of our social media portals below: