Solar Whiz Commercial — FAQ’s
Frequently Asked Questions List
The Solar Whiz Commercial system runs on the same simple and straightforward principles as our residential system. However, we receive a number of queries regarding how it works.
1) What sort of applications are industrial whirlybirds suitable for?
The SW-RAF10000’s large airflow capacity makes it ideal for most commercial/industrial applications. To list just a few:
- Factories and warehouses,
- sports facilities,
- daycare institutions,
- office buildings,
- large community centres,
- exhibition centres and
- industrial sheds
are all perfect applications for SW-RAF10000 industrial whirlybirds.
2) Where can I purchase Solar Whiz products?
GES has an extensive network of dealers throughout Australia.
You can check out our list of dealers here or give us a call on 1300 609 994.
3) How much air can the Solar Whiz Commercial Ventilation Systems (SW-RAF10000) move?
Like our smaller domestic Solar Whiz units, the SW-RAF10000 unit is named according to its maximum airflow capacity.
Therefore the maximum airflow capacity of the industrial whirlybirds SW-RAF10000 – measured without resistance is 10000 cubic metres of air per hour (cbm/hr).
4) How much air each type of Solar Whiz is able to move compared to a standard whirlybird?
The SW-RAF10000 is capable of moving 10000cbm/hr – 100 times the air volume that of your standard industrial whirlybirds will do!
Our largest domestic unit, The SW-RAF2300, is capable of moving 2300cbm/hr – 23 times the air volume that of your standard Whirlybird
5) How many industrial whirlybirds roof ventilation units do I need?
To calculate how many SW-RAF10000 units you will need, you will first need to calculate an estimate of the volume of the facility you are looking to ventilate (length x width x height). When you have this figure, you need to multiply this by the recommended number of air changes. Or for alternative sources, see the list at the bottom of our commercial ventilation page.
6) An Example of Calculating the Recommended air changes per hour…
A factory is 40m x 40m x 10m (16000 cubic metres). We multiply this by the recommended number of hourly air changes for effective ventilation in a factory (3-5, in this case 4). The required airflow is, therefore:
16000 (cubic metres) x 4 (no. of air changes) = 64000 cubic metres of airflow is recommended, per hour.
So, 7 of the SW-RAF10000 units would be recommended in this case.
It is important to realize that while 3-5 air changes per hour is the recommended amount, even having 1-2 would make a difference
7) What model of Solar Whiz is best for ventilating a Large Shed, Warehouse, or Factory?
There are two options:
- For spaces 750cbm (cubic meters) and above, a combination of model sizes is an effective means of ventilation and cooling.
- For large spaces 2250 (cubic meters) and above, or those that need strong ventilation (chemicals or smoke inside); the SW-RAF10000 (or a combination of these) is most appropriate. It is not only our most powerful unit but also the most powerful on the market!
8) Can the commercial ventilation system be thermostatically controlled?
The SW-RAF10000 can be installed with our adjustable thermostat if you wish to do so. With a thermostat installed, the unit will run until the temperature at the location of the thermostat drops below the set temperature.
The adjustable thermostat also has an on/off switch so you can switch the unit completely off if you wish to do so. This might be the case during the winter months.
In some applications where constant ventilation is required, it may not be beneficial to have the thermostat installed.
9) What size is the motor and PV panel that is supplied with the commercial roof exhaust fan?
The SW-RAF10000 is supplied with:
- a 24V,
- 100W motor and
- a PV panel to suit.
10) How noisy is the commercial ventilation fan?
The SW-RAF10000 unit is rated to run at <50dBA.
The noise of the fan from the SW7000 compares to the fan of a refrigerator (<50dBA) but will be on the roof.
11) What are the components of a Solar Whiz?
Our commercial units are made up of 4 main components:
- 24 Volt DC software-controlled brushless motor with double-shielded ball bearings.
- Stainless steel fan body, motor arms and fasteners
- Aluminium fan cap and flashing
- Externally mounted 150 Watt PV panel
12) What is the casing made of? Is it strong?
We use materials designed to last in Australian conditions
- All components are stainless steel, including fasteners, except for the fan cap and flashing, which are aluminium alloy.
- The fan cap is powder-coated Shale Gray.
13) What are the dimensions of the units?
- SW-RAF10000 unit – 900 Dia 305 high; throat size of 630mm
- 75W Panel – 815x725x40;
- 100W Panel – 1260x700x40.
- Flashing – 915mm x 915mm x 0.9mm
- SW-RAF10000 unit – 920x920x340;
- 75W Panel – 770x840x70;
- 150W Panel – 1010x725x70.
14) Why is passive ventilation not enough?
By the time passive ventilation kicks in the roof space is already too hot. Passive ventilation relies on natural forces like temperature differences to move air around. That means that the air inside your home has to already be hot and in order to trigger the thermal buoyancy that drives the exchange of air.
The Solar Whiz starts working as soon as the sun shines, preventing your roof space from reaching high temperatures in the first place. Mechanical ventilation is also far more powerful than passive ventilation. Our units are capable of moving a lot more air than your standard whirlybird.
15) What is replacement air and how do we bring it into our building?
The SW-RAF10000 extracts a significant amount of predominantly hot/warm air from inside your establishment; for cooling to take place we need to replace the extracted air.
If you don’t have existing passive ventilation vents in the building replacement air can be obtained by leaving windows, roller doors, emergency exit doors or anything similar slightly open while the SW-RAF10000 is operating.
16) Where does replacement air come from?
17) What is the difference between an intake and exhaust vent?
18) I want to stop warm air escaping from the Solar Whiz opening during the winter months. How is this done?
Installing a thermostat with your unit will stop it from running in the colder winter times. This will ensure that valuable heat in your roof space isn’t being unnecessarily extracted. However, if you wish to take things a step further you can cut a piece of foam to fit and place it inside the throat of the Solar Whiz unit.
Additionally, our ceiling vents are completely closeable so you can close these easily in winter to stop valuable heat from escaping.
19) Can I install a Solar Whiz on my shed/workshop etc.?
Tin and other variety of sheds can get extremely hot in the summer months making them very uncomfortable to work in. The Solar Whiz is a great, cost-effective way to keep a shed or workshop cool!
As the Solar Whiz is completely solar operated, a unit can be installed in sheds where there is no electricity available.
20) How difficult is it to install a Solar Whiz?
Our products are proudly DIY-friendly! It is therefore possible to do the installation yourself and we are happy to provide installation instructions and advice.
Installing Solar Whiz industrial ventilation is pretty straightforward for a competent handyman or a professional installer. If you are not comfortable doing the installation yourself we have a number of dealers and installers across the country to help you. Additionally, your local handyman should be well-equipped to install one of our units for you
If you would be comfortable installing a whirlybird then you would be perfectly capable of installing a Solar Whiz unit. Our roof ventilation fans are only a little more step up from this!
21) What is the warranty on the industrial ventilator?
Solar Whiz commercial roof ventilators are designed and manufactured for durability in the harsh Australian conditions and backed by a 10-year warranty on PV panels and 2 years warranty on other components. An extended warranty is also available.
In order to make a warranty claim, please contact the dealer you purchased the unit(s) from or alternatively give GES a call on 1300 609 994.
Please go to our GES site for the full warranty information, or give us a call on the above number
22) How do I obtain warranty service?
In the unlikely event of making a warranty claim, you will need to give us a call on (03) 9889 0888 or 1300 609 994 and let us know the nature of the problem. Check out our full warranty terms and conditions here.
Alternatively, you can send us an e-mail with a photo attachment showing the problem.
Replacement parts will be sent ASAP and can be sent anywhere in Australia.
23) Are replacement parts available?
If there is a fault with your SW-RAF10000 unit outside of the warranty period/terms, replacement parts are available and stocked by GES. Give us a call on 1300 609 994 to discuss.
24) My warranty has expired - can I purchase replacement parts?
Global Eco & Environmental Solutions has Solar Whiz parts that can be purchased if something happens outside the warranty covered. These parts are reasonably priced and can be delivered anywhere in Australia. Contact us via email or phone (03) 9889 0888 or 1300 609 994 for current prices
25) Can the Solar Whiz be used at night?
At its basic level, Solar Whiz industrial whirlybirds will operate whenever the sun shines.
The SW-RAF10000 can most certainly be run at night if you wish. This is done via our night operation kit; which uses a relay switch to alternate between solar power and mains power when there is insufficient sun. The system will automatically switch back to PV power when there is enough sun to run the fan. It is important to note that this system requires a powerpoint in the roof space.
If the industrial roof exhaust fan is installed with a night operation kit and no thermostat, the unit will run virtually 24/7 (there is a small lag when switching from solar power to mains).
If SW-RAF10000 industrial whirlybirds are installed with a night operation kit and thermostat, the unit will continue to run until the set temperature is reached.
26) What if I want to ventilate all the time?
If you want to run your Solar Whiz unit at all times we suggest that you install a night operation kit; which uses a relay switch to alternate between solar power and mains power when there is insufficient sun. The system will automatically switch back to PV power when there is enough sun to run the fan. It is important to note that this system requires a powerpoint in the roof space.
Alternatively, our units can also be supplied without a PV panel. This option saves you the cost of the PV panel and means that the unit is run on mains power at all times.
27) Can the unit be set to run during a fixed time period?
This operation can be achieved by using the method mentioned in the question above, but with the addition of a timed switch at power source
28) Where are Solar Whiz products produced?
Solar Whiz industrial whirlybirds are designed in Australia by Global Eco & Environmental Solutions (GES Pty Ltd) and developed and manufactured in cooperation with our Chinese partner.